Quantity Take-Off / Estimating Assistant
REPORTS TO: Chief Estimator or Estimator
SUMMARY: The Quantity Take-Off/Estimating Assistant role is an important part of the ongoing success of the Company. As a Quantity Take-Off/Estimating Assistant you will be responsible for supporting the development of bid proposals that meet all the requirement of the Contract or Request For Proposal (RFP). The Quantity Take-Off/Estimating Assistant must have excellent documentation skills, be flexible and adaptable, able to balance multiple tasks simultaneously, and have good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all team members, and trade partners throughout the proposal process.
KEY INTERFACES: Estimator and Chief Estimator
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates his/her own commitment to an injury-free workplace through own actions
- Downloads and organizes plans, specifications, and all other Contract documents for pursuit purposes
- Has a thorough knowledge of the plans, specifications, and all project related documents
- Assists in organizing the overall pursuit schedule so key milestones are identified and met
- Monitors all addenda and scope changes to ensure they are processed and incorporated in the estimate in a timely manner
- Assists in the development of the Bid Proposal Package
- Performs detailed quantity takeoffs for all assigned work elements/bid items utilizing Onscreen Takeoff Software or Bluebeam
- Organizes and oversees sub and supplier solicitations and manages Good Faith Efforts (GFE) for bidding purposes
- Assists with bid deliveries, allowing enough time to complete the bid documents over the phone with the Estimator when required
- Attends mandatory pre-bid meetings and/or jobsite visits and conveys all information and photos obtained at these meetings to the estimator when requested
- Assists in the transition of all estimating information to operations on all successfully awarded projects
- Assists operations with quantity takeoffs for current projects as needed
- Maintains material/consumable/subcontractor cost database in estimating software
- Performs other assignments/job duties as necessary
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in Onscreen Takeoff or equivalent (i.e. Bluebeam); MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint; Strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to effectively multi-task; ability to function effectively as part of a team; dependable; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; ability to understand and follow directions; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; the ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience in HCSS Heavy Bid and Heavy Job, Vista Viewpoint, Plan Grid, Bluebeam, Onscreen Takeoff, Microsoft Project
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: This position requires one to two years of relevant experience in the Heavy Civil Construction industry. A Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management or Engineering is preferred, however, relevant experience in the Industry will be considered.
BENEFITS PACKAGE: Johansen offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Competitive salary
- Health and Dental Insurance for all employees and his/her/their eligible dependents
- 401k savings plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO) program utilizing an accrual based system that begins with 15 work days per year
- Paid Holidays (in addition to the PTO Program)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, six, or age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To successfully perform the essential duties of this position, an individual must be able to sit at a desk for four or more hours per day, and frequently lift and carry objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry objects up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Individuals must be able to access all points of a construction site in a wide range of work environments.
LIMITIONS AND DISCLAIMER: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.