REPORTS TO: Project Engineer
SUMMARY: The Field Engineer assists and supports the Superintendent and Project Engineer on assigned projects. The position works under direct supervision of the Project Engineer. The Field Engineer must be able to work independently but also succeed as part of the project team. The responsibilities of the Field Engineer include being a representative for the Company for construction operations and requires an understanding of construction methods, procedures and administrative processes, excellent documentation skills and good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all members of the project (both internal and external). The Field Engineer must be a flexible and adaptable team player.
KEY INTERFACES: Foreman, Superintendent, Project Engineer, Project Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates and helps to enforce the company's Health & Safety Program
- Demonstrates his/her own commitment to an injury-free workplace through own actions
- Assists in the preparation of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA's)
- Participates in job-site safety reviews, toolbox meetings, mass safety meetings, and safety training
- Supervise Subcontractors and communicate with vendors
- Order and schedule material deliveries
- Prepare work plans and work packages
- Participate, record, and in some cases oversee quality assurance measures
- Assist in scheduling equipment when necessary
- Assist in interpretation of proposals/specifications and drawings for field crews and craft supervision
- Perform quantity calculations by taking measurements and determining percentage of completed/installed materials & work
- Assist in field surveying and/or layout support including elevation, control points, and compilation of as-built data
- Assist in compiling, processing, and confirming daily labor timesheets
- Maintain organized and detailed project records
- Assist in coding and approving of project related invoices from subs and/or suppliers
- Attend project meetings as directed by the Project Engineer
- Perform additional assignment's per the Project Engineers direction
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and PowerPoint; strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to function effectively as part of a team; dependable; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; ability to understand and follow directions; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; the ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide range of environments.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience in HCSS Heavy Job, PlanGrid, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Project
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: This position requires one to three years of relevant experience in the Heavy Civil construction industry. A Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent is preferred however, relevant work experience in the Heavy Civil/Infrastructure Industry will be considered.
- Competitive Salary
- Use of a company vehicle for business related travel
- Health and Dental Insurance for the employee and his/her eligible dependents
- 401K savings plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO) utilizing an accrual based system that begins with 15 days per year
- Paid Holidays (in addition to the PTO Program)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, or age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To successfully perform the essential duties of this position, an individual must be able to perform in an active construction environment, regularly site, stand, walk, talk and listen, and frequently lift and carry objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and carry objects up to 30 pounds. Individuals must be able to access all points of a construction site in a wide range of work environments.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Required are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.