JOB TITLE: Field Engineer Intern
REPORTS TO: Project Engineer
SUMMARY: The Field Engineer Intern assists and supports the Superintendent, Project Engineer, and Field Engineer on assigned project(s). The position works under direct supervision of the Project Engineer and performs routine daily activities and gathers and distributes information. The responsibility of the Field Engineer intern includes being a representative for the Company for construction operations and requires a strong understanding of construction methods, procedures and administrative processes, excellent documentation skills and good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all members of the project (both internal & external). The Field Engineer intern must be flexible and adaptable team-player.
KEY INTERFACES: Project Manager, Project Engineer, Field Engineer, Superintendent
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Communicates and helps to enforce the company's Health and Safety Program
2. Demonstrates his/her own commitment to an injury-free workplace through own actions
3. Assist in the preparation of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA's)
4. Participate in jobsite safety reviews, toolbox meetings, mass safety meetings, and safety training
5. Order and schedule material deliveries
6. Prepare work plans and work packages
7. Participate, record, and in some cases oversee quality assurance measures
8. Assist in scheduling equipment when necessary
9. Assist in interpretation of proposals/specifications and drawings for field crews and craft supervision
10. Perform quantity calculations by taking measurements and determining percentage of completed/installed materials & work
11. Assist in field surveying and/or layout support including elevation, control points, and compilation of as-built data
12. Assist in compiling, processing, and confirming daily labor timesheets
13. Maintain organized and detailed project records
14. Assist in coding and approving of project related invoices from subs/or suppliers
15. Attend project meetings as directed by the Project Engineer
16. Perform additional assignments per the Project Engineer's direction
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Publisher and Powerpoint; Strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to function effectively as part of a team; dependable; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; ability to understand and follow directions; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; the ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent is preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, or age.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.