REPORTS TO: Project Manager
SUMMARY: The Superintendent assists and supports the Project Manager on assigned projects. The Superintendent is responsible for ensuring that the project is completed in a timely manner in strict accordance with plans, specifications, local codes, budget, and schedule constraints. The Superintendent coordinates work directed in the field and establishes (as well as enforces) job site safety, and quality assurance efforts. The Superintendent must be able to work independently but also succeed as part of the project team. The responsibilities of the Superintendent include being a representative for the Company as it relates to construction operations and requires a strong understanding of construction methods, excellent documentation skills and good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all members of the project (both internal and external). The Superintendent must be a flexible and adaptable team player.
KEY INTERFACES: Project Manager, Project Engineer, Field Engineer, and Foreman
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates and helps to enforce the company's Health & Safety Program
- Demonstrates his/her own commitment to an injury-free workplace through own actions
- Assists in the preparation of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA's)
- Participates in and/or leads job-site safety reviews, toolbox meetings, mass safety meetings, and safety training
- Forms and leads effective construction crews
- Assists in hiring, training, and development of craft personnel
- Develops and maintains open communications with crews, Field Engineers, Project Engineers, Project Manager, Safety Personnel, Subs, Suppliers, and Clients
- Assists in preparing work plans and scheduling to determine manpower levels, material quantities, and equipment requirements
- Examines and/or inspects field conditions and troubleshoots problems, corrects inaccuracies, and implements cost saving measures when necessary
- Monitors and adheres to budgetary guidelines for job, and ensures that cost control measures are being followed
- Reviews and approves crew time cards each week
- Monitors quality standards and ensures that all quality assurance standards are being met
- Monitors job schedule and coordinates work with subcontractors, and suppliers, and ensures that inspections are scheduled appropriately
- Assists in developing detailed CPM Schedules
- Develops 90 day schedules, three week schedules, and man power needs that support the CPM Schedule
- Advises senior level management of potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, etc. Assists in resolving such problems when required
- Maintains organized and detailed project records
- Attends project meetings as directed by the Project Manager
- Performs additional assignment's per the Project Manager's direction
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Working knowledge of computers and experience with MS Office Suite including Word, and Excel; Strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to work independently as well as part of a team; dependable, ethical, and having high integrity; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; understanding of cost management processes, planning, and scheduling; positive attitude and strong motivational skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience in HCSS Heavy Job, PlanGrid, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Project.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: This position requires 10+ years of experience in the heavy civil/infrastructure industry. Individuals must have at least 5 years of supervisory experience with exposure to various construction disciplines and safety regulations and know how to apply them. A Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent is not necessarily required but is favorable; however, proven relevant work experience in the Heavy Civil/Infrastructure Industry will be primarily, and strongly, considered.
- Competitive Salary
- Use of a company vehicle for business related travel
- Health and Dental Insurance for the employee and his/her eligible dependents
- 401k savings plan with discretionary company match
- Paid Time Off (PTO) program utilizing an accrual based system that begins 15 days per year
- Paid Holidays (in addition to the PTO program)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, or age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To successfully perform the essential duties of this position, an individual must be able to perform in an active construction environment, regularly sit, stand, walk, talk and listen, and frequently lift and carry objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry objects up to 30 pounds. Individuals must be able to access all points of a construction site in a wide range of work environments.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.